Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Perspective

Well, I'm trying to optimistic about the next few weeks ahead. This last Friday evening I had a grand time with some of my friends making dutch-oven peach cobbler. Always delish. Well, we ate, mingled, came back and said goodbye. I went to put the ditch oven away in the shed and was just lifting it over the bicycles when the lid slid off the top ... right onto my toe. Now, when it first hit I think I was just in shock. I stood there for a second and thought ouch! Mmmf! Yeeow! Surprisingly no swear words even came to mind. All I did was limp inside panting ouch, ouch, OUCH, OUCH!!! As I got to the bathroom I couldn't stand it much longer. I was approaching the limit of my anti-pain reserve. I ran cold water in the tub and stuck my foot in it. That did it. I fisted the wall, tightly clenched the shower curtain and my teeth and muttered MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER!!! Then I decided I probably shouldn't take my Mother's name in vain so I just started breathing loudly. Anyways, it was a new experience for me. I've never smashed my toe or my fingernail severely before. To the naked eye there wasn't any serious damage done except a bruise on about 1/4 of my toenail. I couldn't even sleep the first night with the blood heavily pulsing through my toe. I could feel each beat. Well, by Saturday evening the bruise had spread leaving my toe looking like this.
Yep. So it's pretty exciting right now. It was the first time I had worn sandals with my church clothes since my mission during monsoon season. It has gotten a lot better in the past few days, but I still haven't been able to do a whole lot of things. I definitely still had a chance to do our ward slipn'slide which was a blast, but I haven't done any running or dancing, both of which I was really looking forward to this week.
Well, it's really not that big a deal. Just one of those things that happens. It could have been a lot worse. I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't moved my foot a little when the lid fell that it would have landed on a joint or something. It's only the end of my toe, but I could have broken one or two toes that way. Now I only have to lose a toenail. I feel great about that.
And a public announcement for all that know me ... I finished the first Harry Potter. Critique? All I have to say is the rest had better be better than this.

2 comments:

Sarah T. said...

It's Sarah from the newsroom. I'm sorry about your toe! OUCH! I hope that you have a speedy recovery.

PS: The Harry Potter books get much better as the series progresses.

Jessica said...

David--let's be blogger friends. That means you have to keep blogging.