Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Duck Tales


So, I'm sure several students have taken the normal walk from the south end of BYU campus to those skyscraper stairs rising up to the dreaded testing center. Before making the ascent, I've seen several students stop and look around at the sight. The overpopulated duck pond is becoming increasingly active as the weather is warming up. Now it should be brought to everyone's attention that these ducks (I took this picture, even if it is a month too late) have been occupying this pond 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Yes. They were here all winter. Snow, ice and penguins go together, but ducks rarely fit into the standard mental image of winter. What compels them to stay? Perhaps they are too fat to fly because of the extreme generosity of students who are all too willing to throw their sad attempt at a meal to them (I honestly have never seen them fly. If anyone else has, please let me know). Or perhaps they have fallen in love with Provo, like so many here, and refuse to ever leave. Maybe they have mutated and grow extra feathers or are slowly changing into cold-blooded creatures. Whatever the reason, it is weird. Another issue remains. Last year, I'm pretty sure, there were only a dozen ducks. Now there are, I have counted on two separate occasions, approximately 50. Why the rapid influx of fowl? I believe it is because parents think that a cute little duckling will make a fine present for their child. They make the purchase, oogle at the stumbling lump of yellow and black feathers, feed it, care for it, and then ... reality. The duck begins to grow, said duck is making a mess indoors, the child shirks their feeding and cleaning responsibilities, the duck makes a permanent residence in the bathtub and on occasion the toilet. Soon parents are thinking of a way to solve the issue and they all come up with one, the obvious, solution. The BYU Duck Pond. So late at night, they take their ducks there and let them loose. Like I said, the ducks just sort of appear there. Never have I seen them fly in, never have I seen them fly out. It's the only explanation. If you've got another, I'd love to hear it.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

There really are way too many ducks running around. In an "unofficial poll" we found 50 ducks!

PS- I like you...

Dave said...

It's simple...they are wizard ducks and they apparate to the BYU duck pond. They apparate because the duck-who-must-not-be-named has destroyed their last pond and the BYU pond has protective enchantments. I thought everybody knew that!
I hope you're both doing well!

Erika Spjute Gray said...

Hey Lukers!! It's time to update your blog! How are you guys doing anyway

Anni Winings said...

Dave, Just wanted to say we hope you and your wife are doing great. It's been forever since our Stadium Terrace days. Glad to see your blog.

Anni Winings