Thursday, February 28, 2008

Is that my voice?

Have you ever heard yourself on someone's answering machine, or
recorded your voice on tape for some reason, and thought, "Is that really how I sound?" I once had on old girlfriend (no offense if you read this) who told me she didn't like the sound of my voice. I wasn't being an idiot or using a 'tone' with her. It was just my regular voice. I really didn't think it sounded that bad. Sure, I'm a loud flamboyant person who tends to attract too much attention to himself, but I didn't think I had a high squeaky or annoying voice by any means. I thought it was reasonably deep too. Well, I did some research on why our voices sound different to us than they do to other people. After learning some, I realized it is pretty common sense.
A person's voice sounds quite different to himself or herself compared to how it sounds to other people. Your speech structures (the larynx, tongue, etc.) vibrate and create sound waves while speaking. These sound waves travel out of your mouth and through the air and into the listener's ears. This is how other's hear you. If this was the whole story, then your speech would sound the same to you as it does to anyone else.
However, you also listen to your own speech through a second pathway. You listen to yourself through your head. So, the vibrations caused by your speech structures cause you to hear your own speech through the tissues of your head. This second pathway alters the quality of your sounds, particularly the relationship between the low and high pitches. Because of this alteration, your speech through the second pathway sounds different to you compared to how it sounds through the first pathway. It's usually sounds deeper than it really is. So guys, sorry. Your voice is not as manly as you think. Girls, good news. If you thought your alto voice sounded like a man, you probably don't.

No comments: