Sunday, July 8, 2007

Well, this is my first attempt at a blog. I mostly decided to do this because I want my family to know what's going on in my life. I also thought this would be a good opportunity to publicly express some of my opinions and ideas as well as get some good writing practice.

Keep Yourself Free!

Tonight we had my Grandma Dahlquist's 90th birthday party. It went very well. It was so good to see so many people there in support of my grandmother as she began this next decade of her life. There was a tremendous feeling that came from looking around and seeing all the influence one life has had on others, not to mention all those who have already passed on. Grandma is a trooper! So much good can come from one person. My hope is that one day I can look back at the associations I've made and see a positive impact on the world, be it great or small.

That was not really the object of my post today. In connection with the party previously mentioned, I was asked to be in charge of some musical entertainment for the evening. I called a friend of mine to ask if I could borrow an amplifier and microphone. He said yes, and I took care of the equipment for two days while he left to Idaho for work. To make a long story short, because it would be a very boring long story, we used the equipment and I hurried over to his house immediately after to return them to his home, even though he wasn't there. His sister let me in the house and I quickly abandoned the equipment in his room. I didn't realize how I felt until I was driving away. It was a subtle and quiet feeling, but it nonetheless drew my attention from the loud music blaring in my car. I felt relief. I felt light. I felt free. It was as if I had paid off a debt. I hadn't realized how much I had been worrying about taking care of my friends possessions. The amplifier and microphone were both very nice and expensive. I had been afraid of damaging it somehow and would run through scenarios in my mind of what would happen if one of those kids (there were thousands at the party!) somehow broke something. I applied this to debt directly and recognized how much I hated being in debt to something or someone. Anyways, stay free! Don't let yourself be tied down. Be self-reliant. And if you must go into debt, be smart about it.


This was at my Grandma's party. My little brother Andrew, me, my brother-in-law Weston, and my cousin Amy with John Groberg and his wife Jean.

No comments: